Strong Indy, our local chapter of Strong Towns applied to our beloved city of Indianapolis, is having a very special monthly meeting this week on Thursday, April 20th. It’s being hosted by Big Car at the Tube Factory artspace in Garfield Park.
We have the honor of having Cara Courage speak to us about her research in placemaking and her new book which includes a section about the efforts of Big Car in Garfield Park. She’s here in Indy to give a TEDx talk and is visiting from the UK. Find out more at her website: http://www.caracourage.net/
Other topics we’ll be covering include:
• A “keynote” given by Jim Walker of Big Car about placemaking, traffic calming and their specific project to improve Shelby St in Garfield Park.
• Discussion of some thoughts post Strong Towns national summit
• Clarify our group mission for Indianapolis
• Talk about getting a website up
• Talk about our choice of tools for keeping in touch, discussion etc
• Hopefully we’ll have time to do a little bit of work on our two projects: tax revenue comparison and traffic calming/placemaking
If you haven’t made it out to a Strong Indy meetup then this is your week to do so. This meetup will be both informative and a great chance to get involved in our two projects that we’re focusing on for our group to make some real change in Indy to help make it better.