web analytics

Amazing Oblique Image Circa 1933

Found on this thread on Skyscraper City. I’m not sure if I’ve seen a picture from this era with better detail or as wide of a scope.

6 Responses to “ “Amazing Oblique Image Circa 1933”

1. rodney says:

Wow, I love this. It looks so much more filled in… not a surface lot in sight. Sigh.

2. CorrND says:

I think I stared at that picture for about 20 minutes straight when I first saw it on SSC. Thanks for wasting more of my time by posting it again! :)

My favorite, and most heartbreaking, observation is that block of Kentucky in the lower left that we lost to the Hyatt. What a goddamn shame when you compare that to the soul-sucking dead zone that the Hyatt represents today. And especially when you consider that that block of Kentucky could have led people directly from the Convention Center to that great strip of restaurants on Washington.

3. Kevin says:

Yes, the loss of the angled streets to mega-block buildings hurts my soul as well.

4. mheidelberger says:

Everything is so intact! The original Ralston layout is completely unadulterated…

5. Katie says:

oh I have been on an old photo kick lately I love it!

6. IndySQUARED says:

Incredible & depressing at the same time, so many incredible buildings lost but we still have a pretty cool city nonetheless. . . I agree with CorrND's statement about the soul-sucking dead zone, its a cry shame. However, its an awesome photo, thanks for sharing!